Vietnam Tourist Visa
Vietnam tourist visa (categorized as DL) is one of the most popular types of Vietnamese visa which is for tourism purpose only.
How many types of tourist visa?
At the moment, you may apply for either of the following types of tourist visa for Vietnam:
- 1-month single entry (valid for 01 month with 01 entry only);
- 1 month multiple entries (valid for 01 month with several entries);
- 3 months single entry (valid for 03 months with 01 entry only);
- 3 months multiple entry (valid for 03 months with several entries during);
Note: US travelers have one (01) more option for a tourist visa to Vietnam: 1 year multiple entries visa for Vietnam.
The requirements to get Vietnam tourist visa (DL visa)
To obtain a tourist visa (DL visa), you need to prepare the required documents as follows:
- Your passport with 6 month validity (at least) and two blank pages for Vietnam visa stamp and immigration stamp;
- Vietnam visa application which can be filled online here;
- Two passport photos;
- Visa fee;
How to get Vietnam tourist visa?
You’d better start applying for a Vietnam visa two weeks in advance. There are normally 3 common ways to get it:
- Apply directly for a Vietnam visa letter at the Embassy of Vietnam in your country.
- You can apply for a visa-on-arrival (for air-travelers only) via www.vietnamvisa.org.vn/apply-visa/. Visa-on-arrival (VOA) in a nutshell is a process by which obtaining a visa letter of approval through an agency for check-in at the departure airport and get the verified visa stamp at an international airport in Vietnam at arrival.
- Apply for Evisa which allows applicants to stay within Vietnam with one single entry for no more than 30 days. It means you should get a Vietnamese visa on arrival if you desire to stay longer in Vietnam, or if you hope to leave and re-enter Vietnam during your stay.
What nationality take free-visa to Vietnam?
Based on the purpose of visiting Vietnam and the Vietnam visa exemption policy between Vietnam and respective countries, there are 22 nationalities which are allowed to enter Vietnam single time without using visa during a period of time.
However, based on each exemption country, there will be different restrictions. In order to ease these barriers of the visa exemption policy, you can apply for an appropriate visa prior to Vietnam via Vietnamvisa.org.vn.
Tourist visa cost
Visa on arrival fee: There are two types of fee you have to follow.
- Service fee: It is paid online to process the pre-approval letter issued by Vietnam Immigration Department and sent via your email
- Stamp fee: It is paid in cash upon arrival at Vietnam international airport.
|Type of visa||Service fee||Stamping fee|
|1 month single entry||17 USD||25 USD|
|1 month multiple entry||22 USD||50 USD|
|3 months single entry||27 USD||25 USD|
|3 months multiple entry||55 USD||50 USD|
For processing time, you should pay attention to the official time zone which is 7 hours ahead (GMT +7) and public Holidays in Vietnam because it will vary due to individual circumstances and periods. Normally, it takes 2- 3 working days to receive the approval letter. However, in emergency cases, an approval letter can be obtained in 4-8 working hours (Read more).
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply Tourist Visa?
Vietnam Tourist visa (categorized as DL) is one of the most popular types of Vietnamese visa which is for tourism purpose only so people who have passport valid at least 6 months can apply for this type of visa.
Can I use tourist visa issued by you to enter Vietnam by land?
No, this type of visa is applicable to air travel only. Three international airports in Vietnam that you can get your stamp with this approval letter are: Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) and Danang Airport (Danang).
Can you give more details about exemption countries?
List of exempt countries in Vietnam Visa (13/3/2020)
|No||Countries||Free- visa days|
|1||Chile||less than 90 days|
|2||Cambodia||less than 30 days|
|3||Indonesia||less than 30 days|
|4||Kyrgyzstan||less than 30 days|
|5||Malaysia||less than 30 days|
|6||Singapore||less than 30 days|
|7||Thailand||less than 30 days|
|8||Philippines||less than 21 days|
|9||Brunei||less than 14 days|
|10||Myanmar||less than 14 days|
|11||Belarus||less than 15 days|
|12||Japan||less than 15 days|
|13||Denmark||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|14||Finland||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|15||France||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|16||Germany||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|17||Italy||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|18||Norway||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|19||Russia||less than 15 days|
|20||South Korea||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|21||Spain||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|22||Sweden||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
|23||United Kingdom||less than 15 days – Temporarily suspended|
Where can I get Vietnam tourist visa?
Getting visa to Vietnam is quite simple and easy now, you only need to print an approval letter out after receiving it via email from us. Upon arrival at any International Vietnam’s airport, go to visa on arrival desk to get the visa stamp.
What is the difference between single entry visa and multiple entry visa?
Basically, for single entry visa you can enter and exit Vietnam 1 time and for multiple entry visa you can enter and exit Vietnam more than 1 time.
For example: You can apply for this type of visa in case you would like to enter Cambodia, Laos or any other country from Vietnam and then re-enter without having to apply for another single visa.
Visa on arrival is different from visa i get from Embassy?
Actually, visa on arrival is officially issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department, it has the same validity as the visa you apply from Vietnamese embassy abroad. You can see “Visa on Arrival” is stated well in the Vietnam Immigration Laws.